Got my vps ddosed the other days, and so busy was my working days that I couldn’t spare my time to fix it. Now you see it just works fine, this article write down how I did.
On July 1st I received an email from my vps provider and they told me that I have over 10GB anonymous bit torrent data up/down load per day, hence they have to shut it down to avoid legal issues. Also, I was told that the hacker may left a backdoor even if I change my root password, so I could only reinstall my VPS system. The problem now is: how I could do to save my old home page. Luckily, they offered me an rescue mode, with which I can mount my old disk image, what’s worse is that I couldn’t use chroot. Terrible things just happened.
First of all, mount -t ext4 /media/temp /dev/xvdb and copy important files to my own host, including
wp-content/uploads //uploaded files
/etc/apache2/sites-available/www.haodong.org //my apache settings
/usr/share/wordpress/wp-config.php //wordpress settings
/etc/wordpress/* //wordpress settings
wp-content/uploads/2015_xx_xx_database.sql //back up data base, most important
Second, install a new operating system, and install the following programs.
apt-get install apache2 php5 mysql-server mysql-common mysql-client
apt-get install libapache2-mod-auth-mysql php5-mysql php5-gd
Start apache service
service apache2 start
install phpmyadmin and wordpress
apt-get install phpmyadmin wordpress
Now I have wordpress in /usr/share/wordpress.
Upload settings to the corresponding positions.
scp www.haodong.org root@dong:/etc/apache2/site-available/
It seems apache2 has made a limitation on its web config file that it must ends with .conf so rename www.haodong.org to haodong.conf if you got “www.haodong.org does not exist”
For /etc/apache2, which includes default website config containing /var/www/html, make my website work by a2dissite 000-default.conf since in apache2.conf there is
scp wp-content/uploads root@dong:/usr/share/wordpress/uploads/
scp wp-config.php root@dong:/usr/share/wordpress/wp-config.php
scp etc/wordpress/* root@dong:/etc/wordpress
Add on Oct. 16 2015, it seems apache2 has changed its way of setting. Website folders are restrained to /var/www/html, so synchronize files in wordpress.
rsync -avP /usr/share/wordpress/ /var/www/html/
1. define(‘WPLANG’, ‘zh_CN’); exist in /etc/wordpress/wp-config.php
2. Enable write permition of htaccess since I need permenant link.
3. The location in /etc/apache2/sites-available/www.haodong.org is just the wordpress symbolic setting file.
4. Be careful on /etc/wordpress/config-xxx.php, which stored the name and password to mysql data file. Make sure you put them in a safe place, and if not, don’t hesitate to crash your head on a wall. :p
Technically, we finished reinstalling and enabling everthing, let’s try.
1. Open http://haodong.org/phpadmin and input your mysql user and password.(Should be set when you install mysql, like root:123456), if you forget everything about mysql, you could reset DB_NAME, DB_USER, DB_PASSWORD by
mysql -u root -p
CREATE DATABASE wordpress;
CREATE USER wordpressuser@localhost IDENTIFIED BY ‘password’;
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON wordpress.* TO wordpressuser@localhost;
2. upload the sql file we set aside, remember wordpress only support upload file under 2MB, so we need to gzip it to a xxx.sql.zip. After that, open http://haodong.org/wp-admin/install.php, set an administrator user:password pair, which will be stored in the wp-users table we just imported.
Should everything be done?
3. Open www.haodong.org, oops, I forget my administrator user and password. How should I do? Edit the table wp-users table and set password field to “5d41402abc4b2a76b9719d911017c592” to reset my password to “hello”.
Login, and see how my new website going, but what I saw is an amount of messy code. Actually, the old mysql data file is stored in latin1, so before upload the data file, I need to set it to UTF8 in order to make Chinese characters looks well.
gzip xxx.sql and upload the file again with UTF-8 Unicode (utf8) and utf8_general_ci
Here we got beautiful Chinese words. But wait, from ssh, I still saw Chinese names abnormly showed in my screen.
Then run locale-gen
Untill now, I could get access to all of my articles when I open my website. But there is one more thing. The media files could still not be touched. I could change uploads file to 777 but this may cause security issues, actually I don’t want to save my vps again. So what I do is:
Change uploads file to 777 temporarily and upload one picture, log on to my vps and see who owns wordpress as a user. And I got:
# ll wordpress/wp-conteng/uploads/xxx.jpg
chown -R www-data:www-data /usr/share/wordpress
chmod 755 /usr/share/wordpress
Now everything works well.
Oh, there is still one more thing, I’d like to talk about is the security problem, I need to do something to avoid being hacked again.